[GCFL-discuss] FW: Israelis for Obama Video Fraud

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Oct 8 11:15:16 CDT 2008

When I saw the name "General Uzi Dayan" I was sure this was a fake. What
an obviously made-up name! Well it turns out that really is his name, and
he really is mad. I assume Uzi has a significance other than "machine
gun," the gun was named in honor of whatever it is, and so was the
general.

I would note however that the film in question was not produced by the
Obama campaign. It was produced by an independent organization which
claims to support Obama's campaign. Is that a significant difference?
Just remember the Swift Vote Beterans in 2004. They were entirely
independent of the Bush campaign, right? Not to mention all the
"independent" organizations running all kinds of nasty TV ads pushing
their own pet issues, with a nod to one candidate or the other. We all
admire the clever ones that happen to agree with our own point of view,
and express outrage when the other side gets a low blow in.

If the Obama campaign planned this kind of deception, they would have
been a lot less clumsy about it, and they would have launched it so close
to the election that the expose would have come a few days after the
votes were counted, just like the last several Republican campaigns have.

Since I never saw the original film, nor any news account of it, I hardly
expect the media to inform me that it has been denounced either. The
media hasn't informed me at all, and it probably wasn't worth informing
me of either, if its such a low quality production. The generals are
quite correct that they shouldn't be endorsing candidates in the American
election. Likewise, guessing who will be best for Israel shouldn't be THE
touchstone for any American voter, even those who happen to be Jewish. I
don't know why the makers of the film played into such nonsense.

So, a well-meaning effort to "help" by a bunch of clumsy amateurs. I
clipped a few comments following an article on the subject at

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3606188,00.html

Coverage and most comments were extremely critical of Obama. I clipped
two that were sympathetic (naturally).

10. Obama: Good for Israel
The Film was simply to counteract a Campaign of lies by the republicans,
sent to Jewish Voters , misrepresenting Obama's Voting record and views
on Isreal and Jews. His Senatorial record is the SAME as McCain's , about
Israeli Concerns. The film shows that , NO he is not scary ,he is a known
quantity and is good for Israel's Security. So if you do not want him for
President ( Your suicide Pill) fine. But DO NOT pretend that he has ANY
anti Israel views.
Ted Greenfield ,   Des Plaines, USA    (10.07.08)

17. Some information about McCain
Some people seem very swayed by pretty tenuous connections regarding
Obama. If that kind of thing disturbs you, I'd suggest doing a search on
McCain and Singlaub. I'm not going to feed you talking points, I'm simply
directing you in a direction to get some perspective. If you feel guilt
by association is important, then you need to look at some of McCain;s
associations as well.
Joe ,   San Jose, Ca    (10.07.08)

I was disappointed by Obama's vague response in the debate on what to do
if Iran attacked Israel, but McCain wasn't much more clear. What they
both miss out on is, there is plenty of dissatisfaction in Iran toward
the current government, and we have to learn how to play to that without
expecting some instant uprising, which is not evident at all. Half the
game in diplomacy is to maneuver a hostile regime into a position where
it can't move against you without fatally undermining its own base at
home. Ho Chi Minh knew how to do that to LBJ and Nixon, we should learn
how to do it to the Ayatollahs in Iran.

I was also disappointed by the response to the woman who asked "What
would you ask the American people to sacrifice?" Neither candidate gave a
direct answer. Obama missed a chance to say "We will never again send
soldiers to war without asking every American to make the necessary
sacrifices to support them. If it costs money, we will cut other budget
lines or raise taxes to the necessary level to pay for it, we will not
continue business as usual." (I suppose collecting meat fat for making
ammunition and collecting scrap metal to supply weapons production
wouldn't play the same role, but it might be needed again.)

On the whole, Obama came across as a dynamic, capable leader, while
McCain came across as a tired old man who hasn't done his homework, who
might have been a good candidate in 2000.