[GCFL-discuss] FW: Is America Really Going to To this?

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Oct 29 13:52:20 CDT 2008

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/28/campbell.brown.obama/index.html?eref=rss_topstories#cnnSTCText
 Commentary: Obama breaks promise on campaign finance

2 Interesting snipits from this article:
"One year ago, Obama made a promise. He pledged to accept public financing
and to work with the Republican nominee to ensure that they both operated
within those limits."
"Just to throw a number out: Obama has raised well over $600 million since
the start of his campaign, close to what George Bush and John Kerry raised
combined in 2004."

Nice liberal spending... doesn't sound like middle class concern there.
~Lance

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List
<gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net> wrote:

>  Before I click on my Juno dial-up to check what has been going on in the
> discussion group for the past 24 hours...
>
> Now that it is NOT 11:00 pm, and I do NOT have to be up at 5:30 am to drive
> a ten hour bus route...
>
> I am going to do a more thorough factual dissection of Miss Melanie's
> hysterical moment...
>
> She begins with broad sweeping reference to "the madness that's been on
> display since 9/11 itself, when swathes of the UK population decided that
> 'America had it coming to it'
> because it supported Israel, and that George W Bush was the most dangerous
> man on the planet."  Leaving aside that the main reason I do not consider
> George W. Bush the most dangerous man on the planet is because he lacks
> competence to match his ambition, there are indeed people, on both sides of
> the Atlantic, who answer to the above description. Barack Obama is not one
> of them, and never has been.
>
> Most of these people are my age or older, not Obama's age or younger. They
> have spent much of their lives criticizing the government of the United
> States for real and imagined abuses of power. They have not gotten it
> through their heads that if Osama bin-Laden ever achieved the world-wide
> emirate to which he aspires, they would be first in line to have their heads
> chopped off. (Al Qaeda is NOT a plucky little guerilla outfit trying to save
> indigenous peoples from capitalist exploitation. And Osama does NOT like
> liberals at all.) Fortunately, these people are few, marginal, and without
> significant influence. Their main function, aside from contemplating each
> other's political navels, is to serve as a foil for articles like this one.
>
> So Phillips is already indulging in deception which rivals that of Joseph
> Goebbels (repeat a lie often enough, and people will believe it), to present
> this as an analysis of the significance of Obama's probable impending
> election. It is rather as if I exclaimed that men cheating on their wives
> undermines the integrity of marriage, and is unfair to their children (both
> true statements) then followed up with "So how could you possibly be friends
> with greenBubble?" I have NO reason to believe that greenBubble has ever
> been unfaithful to his wife. In fact, it is statistically unlikely, because
> that is indeed very rare among Orthodox Jews. Very rare. But this unlikely
> to libelous insinuation has about the same relationship to my concern for
> family values, as Obama's election has to the foolishness which Phillips
> waves to begin her petty tirade.
>
> Then Miss Melanie goes on to condemn "that media class which, in
> refusing to tell the public what it needs to know about Barack Obama, may
> now finally install in the White House the man who personifies the
> repudiation of the American power and western values..." as demonstrated
> by "the lack
> of equivalent hardball coverage of the other side -- or worse, actively
> [...]

No animals were harmed in the sending of this message.
However, a few million electrons were extremely inconvenienced...