[GCFL-discuss] FW: McCain for President, Part 1 and 2 - By Charles Krauthammer

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Fri Oct 31 21:51:44 CDT 2008

As it happens greenBubble, I had read Part I in a two-day-old copy of the
local daily newspaper I don't subscribe to. I was so impressed I emailed
him this response.

Siarlys

Dear Mr. Krauthammer,

I seldom agree with you on anything, and I am enthusiastically voting for
Obama, but there is something ineffably admirable about your column, "Why
Voting for McCain is an Easy Choice." It is consistent, from the heart
and from the mind at the same time, standing firmly on your own life-long
principles. It is eloquent, lean, to the point, eminently readable. If we
shared the same principles, it would have won me over. Sensibly, you
didn't rant about those who are voting the other way because they see
things differently; you called out to those who have at times seemed to
share YOUR principles.

I believe that we need to win back friends in the world, by showing that
America can be good for (name almost any civilian demographic), rather
than posing as their enemy. I believe that McCain would make a
laughingstock of America by rattling sabers when the whole world knows
how thin our military is stretched. But that's the basis of my vote, not
yours. I expect President Obama to be both thoughtful and decisive, a
rare combination.

I must say that, even when infatuated with the New Left (it was over by
the time I was eighteen and legally responsible for my choices), I never
liked Bernardine Dohrn, and had barely heard of William Ayers, who didn't
get the same press coverage. They were such JUVENILE revolutionaries,
seemingly intent on alienating anyone whom a more judicious strategist
would have been trying to win over. Many no doubt believe that they
should have been sentenced to several decades in prison when they
resurfaced in the 1980s. But the fact is, the feds cut a deal (on Ronald
Reagan's watch no less), and so they resumed what civilians not on a
most-wanted list do: finding jobs, writing grant proposals, joining
organizations where they come into contact with other people. I don't
hold that against anyone who thereby met, worked with, or had friendly
ties with them, including Barack Obama. They were neither underground nor
in prison when he met them, nor did he seek them out as former
Weatherpersons.

I think you and Nancy Pelosi are both in for a surprise. Obama rose to
prominence as a speculative presidential potential because he seemed to
answer America's yearning for a none-of-the-above candidate, someone who
would break the shackles of red/blue, liberal/conservative, religious /
nonreligious, etc. etc. etc. that are increasingly irrelevant to the
complex human beings most of us are. I expect him to live up to it. This
election may be the end of the Karl Rove polarities, but it will also be
the end of liberalism as we have come to know it.