[GCFL-discuss] Veteran

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon Sep 1 21:54:36 CDT 2008

Today is Labor Day. At least, when I write this it still is. When you
read this, Labor Day will probably be over. I drove a bus in the Labor
Day parade with my union, Amalgamated Transit Union Local 998. At the
last minute a disable veteran struggled over and asked if he could ride
with me. He is also a retiree from the International Association of
Machinists. His war was no earlier than Vietnam. Of course, I drive a
paratransit bus, so picking up disabled people is what I do 40 + hours a
week, but I would have taken him anyway.

He told me he had been working a table supporting Barack Obama at an
annual fair in a semi-suburbanized rural town called St. Martin's. A
number of men had told him he should be supporting John McCain, because
"Veterans should support veterans." He said he showed them the Disabled
American Veterans voting scorecard on issues of concern to veterans, and
McCain had about a 10%. They were not only shocked, but convinced that
the whole thing was lies and propaganda. They returned to the theme
"veterans should support veterans." None of them were veterans. I'm not
either, but the man telling me this is. One of the hecklers said "I'm the
son of the mayor of New Berlin," like that made him an authority on who
veterans should vote for. He said "When John McCain supports veterans,
that's when he'll get my vote."