[GCFL-discuss] Fw: [GCFL.net] How Times Have Changed

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Feb 24 21:48:54 CST 2009

I like the quail hunting best. If everyone knows how to handle a gun,
then guns are no big deal. On the other hand, I've heard more than one
story of a kid getting into a fight, and his mother handing him a gun to
take to school, with the words "Take care of your business." It all
starts with the parents. You could have a less funny variation where in
1957, Jimmy and Johnny get into a fight, Johnny comes home with a broken
nose, next week the two are friends again. In 2009, Johnny gets a gun,
goes out and shoots Jimmy dead, and goes to prison for life.

The last one also has sad real-life examples. There was a kindergarten
teacher in Hayward, CA some years back, convicted of multiple counts of
child abuse. Half his class supported him, saying he just hugged the
kids, or helped them pull their pants up when they slipped, the other
half swore he was molesting the entire class. I call that reasonable
doubt, but the jury and judge didn't. I refuse to push children away who
want to hug me, just because of this kind of scare, but I am careful to
let them hug first.

The school district I went to generally didn't allow kids to be hit. I
thought that was good. Teachers kept control without it. Parents have to
live with the kids 24 / 7, so they have to have some ultimate threats and
can be better trusted with the option, but teachers send the kids home at
3:00, so their judgment isn't so good.

Friends of mine in South Carolina have a grandson the schools wanted to
put on Ritalin a few years ago. He was squirming a lot in class too. Why?
He finished his work quickly and got everything right, then had nothing
to do. This leads me to the conclusion that ADD stands for Administrative
Deficiency Disorder. If the kid exhausted what you assigned, give him
more work, or something more challenging. When I was in elementary
school, my teachers would tell me 'Go to the library and get a book, come
back here by <TIME>.' No hall passes either -- I ran into that in junior
high school.

And speaking of skinned knees... there was an episode of "Judging Amy"
where a girl fell down while playing outside, skinning her knee, and was
taken away by children's services because her mother was in an alcoholic
stupor in the living room. Turned out, in the second hearing, dad was
perfectly sober, nearby, applied antibiotic and a band-aid, but that
wasn't good enough. When I was small, we were expected to get cuts and
bruises and scrapes and bee stings -- now parents are expected to take
precautions so it never happens. I was left in charge of younger siblings
in the daytime at age 9, in the evening at age 14. Today, my mom would be
arrested for that.