[GCFL-discuss] Paddy O'Malley

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon Jan 12 14:50:26 CST 2009

Hmmm, where was I when they taught American history like this in school?

Did you learn this in school or is this independent study?

As I recall, my education of history only covered major events and dates, no
commentary about the ethics, ideology, conviction, repetition, etc of events
in history.  And now, many years past formal education, I realize I know
nothing.  I vaguely remember the phrase "Battle of Vicksburg", so when my
husband said he was at the battlefield at Vicksburg and saw the USS Cairo
this past week, I knew it had SOMETHING to do with American history.  But
that was it!  Did I know who won or who lost?  Did I know how many men died?
Do I know how long the battle lasted?  Nothing.  Zip, zero, zilch.

Siarlys, every time you write I feel a little dumber and like I have somehow
been gypped (a racial slur, get over it).  This is not a criticism of you, I
assure you.  It is an indictment of the education system as a whole, my
parents, and more importantly, ME.  I believed them (the school system and
my parents) when they told me my intelligence was way above average.  OK, I
have a nice IQ number.  What about knowing things?  I don't mean trivia (at
which I am fairly adept), I mean enough knowledge to discuss a topic, have a
point of view, express an opinion.  As I sit here at my desk re-reading this
hodge-podge, I am having an attack of conscience about spending my reading
time on books about vampires and criminal forensics.  I am irresponsible!

In my defense, I majored in Bible in college and can recall more of the
first 4000 years of history than I can of the following 2000 years and I am
quite opinionated about it!  That's a proud statement, but I can puff myself
up only so much on that ability...

Thank you for listening to the ranting of an ignorante.  (I am allowed to
make up words if I see fit -- I am a former spelling champion.)

PS:   For example, I don't even know enough about history to know if ANY of
the movie National Treasure was true, or if any of the story about
"Gormogon" in the TV show Bones is based on ANY fact.  What is the
Illuminati?  Are there secret societies?  Who were the American presidents
under the Articles of Confederation and why didn't I know there were any???
And why do I believe that Churchill was a GREAT man and should be revered by
Americans?

Ignorance.  Shameful.

Jeanene