[GCFL-discuss] Paddy O'Malley

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sat Jan 10 22:17:54 CST 2009

OK, now Jeanene has a context for my question, so its not out of the blue
anymore. Its not about books we've been reading, it is about a joke we've
been passing around, and I don't care if its Burger King or McDonald's. I
don't listen to commercials anyway. I used to prefer Burger King,
naturally favoring the underdog, but Burger King is still using partially
hydrogenated fats to cook its french fries, and if I have to eat fast
foods, I currently prefer Cousins Subs (they have french fries, Subway
doesn't).

Now, getting back to Jeanene's question about books I've been reading:

David McCulough wrote a biography of John Adams, a delegate to the first
and second Continental Congresses, member of the committee that wrote the
Declaration of Independence (along with Thomas Jefferson, generally
credited as the primary author), and, oh yes, the second President of the
United States under the Constitution. (There were several little-known
presidents under the Articles of Confederation). Does this ring a bell
Jeanene? I know, Patricia Cornwall never wrote about him, and he was
never interviewed or dated by a vampire.

McCullough's book was turned into a 7-part HBO miniseries, which won 13
Emmy awards. I never watched it, since I don't have cable, but I now have
the DVD. That's what I was talking about.

I used to despise Adams, who was known to many contemporaries as "His
Rotundity," because he was the last Federalist president, and I don't
like much of the legacy the Federalist party bequeathed to our nation. I
prefer Jefferson and Jackson and Gabriel. But, Adams was really a very
complex man. Since learning that his fellow federalist, Alexander
Hamilton, despised Adams, I have had an improved opinion of Adams. (I've
always believed that Aaron Burr did us all a favor by doing in Hamilton.)
Adams seems to have been the sort of conservative I can appreciate in my
old age: believed in hard work, virtue, freedom of conscience, once
observed that he had "never owned a Negro or other slave" (hint: there
were many kinds of slaves in his day), and had appropriate doubts about
the Alien and Sedition Acts rammed through during his administration.