[GCFL-discuss] Agreeing on Nancy

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu May 21 19:33:59 CDT 2009

Before May 2009, did I know what the term "waterboarding" meant?  No.  Am I a curious person by nature?  Absolutely.  Had I ever heard the word or seen it written?  No.  Did I want to find out what it was, hear a description, or see an image of it happening?  No.  But a couple of weeks ago some stupid visual media outlet had to show a picture without giving me advance notice to avert my eyes.
I don't deal well with the idea of torture or abuse.  I can't stand it.  It nauseates me.  I feel ill and troubled until I can focus on something else hoping to wipe it from my memory.  I don't read about it, I don't watch movies that show it, I don't listen to the news when it is discussed, and I walk away from discussions about it.  It is too touchy a subject for me to acknowledge.  I was feeling quite content in life until I saw that image and now I cannot purge it from my memory.
People do bad things to people.  And some people need to know about those bad things.  I don't need or want to know about them.  I am not sticking my head in the sand, I just know what I am capable of handling.  And this isn't it.  I HATE it that the term is now a part of our society's vocabulary.  I hear it every day if I turn on the radio or the television news.
So, what was your question, Siarlys?  I was overwhelmed by that innocuous-sounding word and can't remember what you were even asking.  I remember the name Nancy Pelosi being mentioned.  It must have come before the word.
I would prefer to leave the seamy side of life to others.
Jeanene