[GCFL-discuss] Gift Giving

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu Mar 25 18:39:15 CDT 2010

I bet Jeanene will have something to say about this too, although not
exactly the same as me, and Carla would have if she were still watching.

Dave Barry indulges in the kind of humor that makes me take it seriously
-- and its not good. The first part is accurate, if incomplete. Children
darn well do let you know months ahead of time what they want. Within
reason, I try to comply. I remember thinking it was really unfair to get
clothes for Christmas, because my parents were responsible for getting me
clothes anyway. It wasn't an extra special gift for me. An exception was
the cowboy suit my mother stayed up late sewing behind her closed bedroom
door, the night before, which I really loved. Its also no fair to get a
child some book you really think they SHOULD read if its not what they
want.

But a child who comes off with antisocial behavior if they don't get the
Murderous Bob doll??? I  can handle that. I can handle it without
destroying the child, and without giving in. No, they do NOT get the
Murderous Bob doll. I might, however, organize a boycott of the company
that offered the doll on Saturday morning cartoons. An effective boycott
is a lot of work. You need about one hundred teams of volunteers who will
devote several months working 24/7 to meet people outside of the relevant
retail outlets until the message saturates the market. But it might be
worth doing.