[GCFL-discuss] [GCFL.net] The Avon Lady

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Jan 4 21:23:30 CST 2011

I understand this funny because it would be true in our community when I was growing up.
My explanation:  She had no documentation to vouch for who she said she was, but when the manager asked her a question that she should know the answer to IF those were real checks AND she actually lived in that neighborhood, she answered easily and proved she was who she said she was!  My mom WAS the Avon lady in our little town.  Funny.
I heard a story about a town smaller than ours when I was a pre-teen and it has stuck with me ever since.  Maybe it was in a Reader's Digest??  The town was so small and isolated that people's handwritten personal checks (unprocessed) were used as currency and when someone tried to pay with a particular one, the savvy cashier said 'You know we can't accept that check, it's <insert name town folk)'s check and you know that isn't worth the paper it's written on!'  Everyone in town knew that check would bounce, but someone in the past had accepted it and it was like the Old Maid's card in the card game of the same name.  No one wanted to be holding it when the game was over.
I loved that story and still do.
Jeanene
- When I grow up, I am going to marry a cowboy/cattle rancher in Wyoming or Montana and see live moose from my front porch.