[GCFL-discuss] [GCFL.net] The Avon Lady

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Jan 4 19:48:41 CST 2011

I found it mildly amusing, but I had a hard time explaining the punch
line, even to myself. If you're not familiar with Avon ladies... well,
half the joke is that people make jokes about Avon ladies. Some kids down
the street from me, when I was young, used to make up jokes like "What's
red and goes ding-dong and crawls through the grass?" The answer was "a
wounded Avon lady." (Their mother called herslf the Avon lady's "worst
customer," but the patient Avon lady kept coming back, valuing every
customer she could get.) Even that wouldn't be funny if you didn't know
jokes like "What's white and black and red all over?" (A newspaper), or
"What's white and black and white and black and white and black and red?"
(A nun falling down the stairs -- only students at a Catholic parochial
school could or would have come up with that one, but my neighborhood was
half Catholic).

Getting back to this joke, I think the idea is that knowing who the Avon
lady in a small town is, would be as good as showing photo ID to prove
you are for real. Only an imposter (at least among women folk) would fail
to know the correct answer.

Siarlys

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 07:23:01 -0800 (PST) "Discussion of the Good, Clean