[GCFL-discuss] K

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue May 6 18:38:55 CDT 2014

I don't know about the other "Why" lines, but the K in K-Mart stands for
Kresge.

Kresge's five and dime store, a competitor of the old downtown five and
dime Woolworth stores, saw the writing on the wall and opened K-Mart as
the big box quasi-suburban subsidiary that would stay in the market while
the old Kresge's stores were shut down.

Why isn't there a W-Mart? That I don't know, but it looks so much like
Wal-Mart that it might be very confusing.