[willowbrook] Fall Festival

Sheila Eisenzimmer sheila at willowbrook.org
Thu Oct 14 12:16:25 CDT 2004

Dear Church:

I have had many ask me about our chosen date of October 31st for Fall
Festival. Our goal is to always provide a Christian alternative to Trick or
Treating by having a great carnival type atmosphere where any parent can
feel safe bringing their child to have a great night.

Earlier in the summer, a group of North Alabama Christian Educators of
children were together at lunch. We all discussed the fact that Halloween is
on a Sunday night. We were concerned that the city might move
Trick-or-Treating to Saturday. A call was made to the Mayor's office by one
of the Southside Baptist ministers at that lunch.  The mayor's office told
them "They had no plans to change the city-wide observance of Trick or
Treating to another night."  We all made our plans accordingly.

Sunday on page 2 of the Huntsville Times, the mayor's office has issued a
statement encouraging children to Trick or Treat on Saturday night instead.
At this time (mid October) our advertising has been mailed, our banners
printed, our rental contracts and agreements for the blow-up games we secure
were guaranteed long ago. Another factor is that Saturday October 30th is
Grissom's Homecoming dance night.  Many of the youth who would normally be
working at Fall Festival, since the supper is a fund raiser for their camp
funds, will be unavailable to serve that evening. Frankly, without our youth
helpers we would be severely short staffed.

Considering all these factors, we have decided to keep October 31st from
4:30 - 7:30 the date for our Fall Festival.  We hope all our church members
will turn out to support this night of fun.  Please invite your neighbors
and friends and co-workers. We will have hamburgers, hot dogs, and hopefully
40 crock pots of chili to warm you up that night!  Come enjoy and bring your
family for a great night of fellowship at Willowbrook.

Sheila Eisenzimmer