[willowbrook] from a Chaplin in Iraq

Doug Taylor dvtaylor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 14:18:43 CDT 2005

>From a coworker...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 2:09 PM
Subject: a needed prayer

All,

Greg Long is the youth minister at my church
and a good friend. He is married with 5 young
children ages 2 - 9. Greg was deployed to
Iraq/Kuwait a couple of months ago as a
chaplain with his unit.  He has since been
promoted to Deputy Command Chaplin for his
area.  This means he is over 16 other
chaplains and around 7000 soldiers. His
duties require quite a bit of travel, which
is extremely dangerous.  He is responsible
for conducting services, counseling soldiers,
and performing RAMP ceremonies.  A RAMP
ceremony is a prayer service that honors
fallen US soldiers, who are referred to as
"Angels". The ceremony is conducted as the
bodies are loaded onto the plane for
transport back to the States.  The "Angels"
are treated with reverence, respect and
dignity at every moment.

It is thought, but he can not confirm it,
that Greg conducts or is a part of every RAMP
ceremony for every fallen soldier.  For him,
it is a tremendous honor to show the respect
for the soldiers who have given the ultimate
sacrifice for freedom.

When an Angel arrives, Greg has to log all of
the personal effects of the soldiers and
assist in the mortuary.  This is taking a
tremendous emotional toll on him.

In his email below, Greg says he is praying
for strength because so many others are
looking to him for that strength and comfort
and encouragement.

Please pray for strength and safety for Greg
and all of our troops.

Thanks,

Jim