[GCFL-discuss] Re: [GCFL.net] Senior for Kerry

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Aug 10 22:44:29 CDT 2004

Well Lance, I would have to agree with most of her criticisms of the Bush
administration, and I definitely agree that there is nothing Christian
about Bush, nor does any Christian have a duty as such to vote for him --
or to vote for any specific candidate. Each of us has a personal relation
to Jesus which leads us to many conclusions about what we should do in
the world, voting being one of the most individual of those choices, and
least reducible to doctrine.

But, like you say, this was a joke. Its a partisan joke, I took the time
to point out that I don't find it very convincing as evidence of
anything, but hey, it WAS clever! It doesn't rise to the level of
"fallacious argument" because its not an argument at all. It is, on its
face, pure fiction, the fabrication of a mind with an eye for puns and
double entendre.

A friend of mine from Ethiopia, now a naturalized citizen, used to be
fearful of my frequent jokes about President Bush. From past experience,
he expected the FBI to burst in the door and drag us away. I finally got
across that in America, our favorite past-time is telling jokes at the
expense of our President. We all do it, no matter who is in, whether we
voted for him or not, whether we ever intend to again or not. Every
comedian does too. The comedians most sympathetic to Kerry will spend the
next four years roasting him if he wins. It is one thing that makes us
different from Iraq. (Did you catch the replays of the Dianne Sawyer
interview, where Hussein expressed genuine surprise that people who make
fun of the president in America are not arrested for it?

In 1944, when America was in the midst of a formally declared war, facing
powerful enemies on two fronts, we held a full fledged election for
president, with the Republican challenger, Thomas Dewey, referring to the
commander-in-chief, Franklin D. Roosevelt, as "that tired old man."

By the way, do you know the difference between Bill Clinton and Jane
Fonda?

Jane Fonda went to Vietnam.

(I never really cared for either one of them -- or for the war in
Vietnam).