[GCFL-discuss] Concerns About Language

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Jul 20 11:51:10 CDT 2004

Jeff,

I'm concerned about your concern about some of the language Siarlys used. I read through her post several time, and my conclusion is that you are concerned about the following phrases:

"Of course Paul ranked one man lying with another right up  there with fornication, but then, most homosexual conduct WAS fornication in the culture of the Roman Empire. Even cultures that have respected homosexuality never even considered that it might be the basis for a marriage. And in our culture today, men who freely engage in fornication somehow feel that they are superior to men who engage in  homosexuality, whether monogamous or promiscuous...

(Which is exactly what I would hold up in the face of the "godhatesfags.com" idiots if I ever ran into them -- it wasn't let he among you who never committed THIS sin cast the first stone, but he who is WITHOUT sin.)"

I hope that if any children reading these posts don't understand the language, they will feel secure enough in their relationships with their parents that they will ask. And I fervently hope that those parents will answer those questions openly. The words
"fornication" and "godhatesfags.com" idiots are not offensive to me, and if my children were young and asked what they mean, I would tell them what those words mean to me.

My belief is that the earlier an age we explain to children in age appropriate terms what they want to know, the healthier thoughts and actions those children will have. My children were more sexually active at earlier ages than I would have liked, but they were making informed choices. We had had lots of discussions about sex, birth control, abortion, and every possible options. I did not agree with their choices, but I did support their right to make them. After all, I was the one who taught them!

But I digress. Siarlys' paragraphs quoted above to me have no language that is of concern. I think the language is very appropriate to the discussion.

And as to your discussion of the harry potter site, you would have to obey the copyright laws. And if it is your private site in which you choose to limit the discussion to certain topics, I believe that you, the owner of the site have the right to set the rules for that site. And if posts come in that don't refer to your site, you have the right to not publish those posts.

kateinmo