[GCFL-discuss] Choice of Language

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Jul 20 21:41:54 CDT 2004

Jeff, to keep it short, no, I wasn't being sarcastic. Judd for the
Defense was a better than average lawyer show on ABC around 1968-1973.
There was one episode regarding a specific crime that my brother, then
aged 8 or less, did not understand the content or meaning of. I didn't
want to be the one to explain it to him, since it would require a lot of
background details on non-criminal acts he wasn't yet aware of. Your
concerns brought it all back. (As it happened, the Webster's we had in
the house was a 1952 edition, which was itself very reserved in the
definition it gave, so it wasn't enlightening, but did satisfy him that
he had looked it up.) I do expect that most 8 year olds today, certainly
10 year olds, know it all -- it appears on public billboards, afternoon
sitcoms, and its all over on the street.