[GCFL-discuss] Out of the Book?

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu May 20 19:51:13 CDT 2004

Lance, this is truly incredible. You have thrown away all four gospels as
irrelevant, because Jesus was still alive, belittled everything Jesus
taught, because he wasn't dead when he said it, and imply that Jesus
couldn't talk about what the significance of his death and resurrection
would be, because he didn't know until it happened. Those who suggest
that Paul was the founder of Christianity, not Jesus, would be very
pleased by your analysis -- which I note lacks any Scriptural foundation.

I am sure this was not your intent, I do not mean to imply that you WOULD
throw away the gospels or excise all the red text from the Bible. But
that is where this argument leads.

Siarlys

On Wed, 19 May 2004 22:06:34 -0700 gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net writes:
>You forget a HUGE detail Siarlys, Jesus hadn't died. Therefore
>forgiveness of sin through the blood of Christ wasn't possible ...
>YET.
>
>Therefore at that point the Law was still salvation. Christ died, and
>re-wrote the salvation book. It's called Mercy and forgiveness, now
>the Law? What do we do with it, we seek to follow it because God gave
>it to us for a reason.
>
>LAnce

P.S. I agree on mercy and forgiveness. I just don't know of any basis in
the Gospels for concluding that either Jesus or the Father are so stingy
with either that they would condemn everyone in the world who failed to
embrace a particular doctrine about either. And most certainly Jesus
taught that the letter of the Law was of little or no significance to
God, it was living the spirit of the Law that counted -- for example,
healing on the Sabbath. How then can we reduce Salvation to a single
formula, akin to a provision of the old Law?