[GCFL-discuss] Judge George W. Greer FL 6 Cir.

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon Mar 21 19:44:16 CST 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:51:15 -0700 gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net writes:
> Florida is a state that allows the husband to make the final
> decision.  Others state allow the closest living blood relative to be
the one
> to decide.  There is no national law or guideline.  Interesting, no?
> Jeanene

That is the nature of American federalism. Every state doesn't have to do
it the same way. If the people of Florida want the law one way, and the
people of Missouri want the law another way, they each have that option.
The federal government has authority to standardize, nationally, for all
states and all Americans, those things specifically granted to the
federal government by the Constitution. States have the authority to
decide anything else, as long as it is not prohibited by the federal
constitution, or the state's own constitution. Those prohibitions are
important -- they define things that government just can't fix, and may
not intrude upon. We can have it 50 different ways for everything else.

Anyway, Judge Greer did follow Florida law. Any resident of Florida who
wants to change Florida law to give more say-so to blood relatives should
write to their legislators, rather than try to impeach Judge Greer
because he followed the law like we are always reminding judges they
should do.