[GCFL-discuss] jewish new year

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu Oct 6 09:38:03 CDT 2005

Frank, Carla, Lance, Jeanene, et al
Thank you.

Frank, in answer to your questions, our New Year is a very solemn time.
Where I pray, the services each day were from 7:15 until 2:30/3:00, with a
short break around 10:30.  Today and next Thursday (the Day of Atonement --
Yom Kippur on Carla's calendar) are fast days.  On Yom Kippur our services
go from 7 to 7 with one short break.  The joyous holiday starts on the night
of Oct. 17 (Tabernacles?).

Regarding the Jewish calendar.  It is lunar based with most years containing
12 months which have either 29 or 30 days.  In order to keep up with the
seasons -- so that Passover is always in the spring --some years have an
extra month.  Seven "leap" years every 19 years (and 2-4 extra 30 day
months) keep it perfectly in sync.

19 * 365.25 = 6939.75
19*12*29.5 = 6726
7 * 21 = 210
6726 +210 = 6936
Close enough.

That said, a Jewish year is 353-355 days long.  Leap years are 383-385 days
long.  The year just ended had 383, the new year  has 354.

greenBubble