[GCFL-discuss] Tithing only applies in Israel

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu Jun 22 07:02:00 CDT 2006

Here is an interesting comment from an Orthodox rabbi on "tithing."
Having heard various Christian perspectives that tithing your cash income
is commanded by God, that it is not applicable under the dispensation of
the New Testament, that it is a good idea but not mandatory, and a few
other interpretations, I thought this might remove some fervency from the
debate:

"Tithing" is an agricultural commandment, and only applies to the
produce of Israel (there are certain problems which this causes to-day
for Israeli farmers, and the rabbinical sauthorities responsible for the
farming villages there have to spend a fair amount of time explaining
things to the inhabitants).

Of course members of a church still need to recognize that if they want
something done that costs money, they will have to, one way or another,
in some amount rationally related to the purpose, supply the means to get
it done, and, of course, if you want your pastor available full time, you
have to give enough money to pay him or her, or s/he will be working at
some job when you need him/her most (which many pastors in fact are). <On
another controversy, there will be some who take issue with my choice of
pronouns>.