[GCFL-discuss] Poygamy

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon Nov 13 22:29:24 CST 2006

I submit that both statments below are important parts of the truth.
Jesus said that all the law and the prophets hangs on two commandments. I
am perfectly willing to accept as a Christian anyone who accepts those
two commandments, while recognizing that none of us are able to perfectly
conform to them -- which leaves the rest up to grace, which we can aruge
over (as Christians have done for centuries) or let each deal with in
their own way.

One of the more useful explanations I have gotten from an orthodox rabbi
is that every action G-d takes, opens a sheaf of possibilities, which
depend on human choices, which in turn lead to inevitable consequences,
and new possibilities for further human choices, as well as further
intervention by G-d, which also leads to a new sheaf of human choices.
Biblical history is one long series of G-d trying to set things going in
a certain direction, and humans getting it all wrong for the most part.
As Lance says, no doubt G-d knew all along that this is how it was going
to be. Or, as C.S. Lewis pointed out, G-d doesn't see into the future
what it GOING to happen, to G-d it is all one unbounded NOW. G-d sees it
all AS it is happening, and to watch a man do a thing is not the same as
making him do it.

Siarlys

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:51:51 -0800 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
"Who knows... He doesn't appear to have anticipated all the stuff we
argue over, split over, or wrap ourselves up in."

Christ knows all and there's no way He didn't anticipate all of this. I
think the heart of the matter is the basics, not what man has added to.
We could all list add-ons by religions so I won't go there. But it's the
heart of worship and basics of Christ's teachings that's so important.
Not what man adds.