[GCFL-discuss] Vacation Bible School and your kids

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon Jun 18 19:52:54 CDT 2007

This is nit-picking over typos, but I think Lance means "Peter do you
love me?" not "Paul do you love me?", and Peter says "Jesus, you know I
love you," not "I know I love you." Point well taken on the English
though, I didn't even know Simon Baryona missed the point quite so badly
as the reference to Agape and Felejo highlights. This should give
everyone caution about quoting isolated verses in English and then
announcing "God said it, I beiieve it." God certainly said something, and
this is the best understanding the reader has, without taking the time to
dig deeper.

There is no better way to dig deeper than to examine the Hebrew text and
meaning, although those gentiles who believe Yehoshua ben-Yussuf was
indeed the Messiah promised as a light to the gentiles (aka Christians)
must part company with Jewish understanding at some point. greenBubble is
one of the experts. The understanding I got from another expert of
similar caliber is that The Adam was androgynous, and the male being
created when the tzela (side, not rib) was removed from The Adam was not
Adam but Ish. Adam continued to be used as a reference for mankind, and
prophetic addresses to "Son of Man" read in the original Hebrew "ben
Adam." This raises on interesting question about Genesis 5:3-5, since it
clearly is talking about a person who lived after the separation. I have
my own unorthodox thoughts about that, but I'll save them for another
time.

Siarlys

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:58:39 -0700 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
This is the one part I hate about English. It's the lack of depth in its
descriptions. There are places in the New Testament where English totally
sucks air to fully communicate what's being said.

For Example: Jesus talking to Peter, "Paul do you Agape me?", "Jesus I
know I felejo you" (Forgive my spellings I haven't seen them in a long
while). These are two VERY different words for love. Agape being pure
Godly love. that only which comes from God. And then Felejo I believe is
the puppy dog love. Which here we clearly see how badly Peter's missing
the point! But you go to the English translations and you got "Paul do
you love me?", "Jesus I know I love you". We have NO CLUE that Peter is
on the wrong page. IT drives me NUTS!!! I love to learn about all the
different things the English fails to cover from the original
manuscripts.
God bless,
Lance

On 6/18/07, Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List