[GCFL-discuss] Dull

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Fri Jan 18 21:16:24 CST 2008

Cool, now I have something to do after downloading my email.

Jeanene, somewhere way back when I thought you had said that your family,
and your entire church, were among the Episcopalians who were more or
less pulling out of the denomination because of its acceptance of
homosexual ministers, bishops and marriages. Now my memory is known to
have errors, I think the rate is one part per million bytes of data, or
something like that, or that's what I recall, but...

IF you were ever Episcopalian, or Anglican, you would have bishops.

Now you tell me you are Baptist, which is as great a shock to me as it
was to you to find out that I am (a) male, and (b) over 50.

There is an on-line religious columnist named Terry Mattingly who was
raised Baptist, decided as he became theologically more conservative
(yes, Baptists used to be red hot radicals), that he should join the
Established Church, looking for Authority, Authenticity, and Apostolic
Succession, found the Episcopalians too liberal for his tastes (they kept
saying he sounded like a Baptist), and, not wanting to be Roman Catholic,
joined the Greek Orthodox Church.

MAD Magazine used to have a comic about how the children of the 60s gave
their kids anything they wanted, and the kids turned out politically
conservative and interested in professional careers, to their parents'
horror. But these conservative kids had hippies for children, which made
for a great bond with the grandparents. I think Ari Fleischer's father
told a reporter once "If Ari wanted to rebel, I guess being a Republican
is better than doing drugs, but not by much."

In short, it happens to everyone. I must admit that as I 've grown older,
I have found that my sometimes radical thinking is strongly influenced by
my mother's uniquely east Tennessee brand of Republican thinking. Neither
one of us likes social workers.

Columbus Day? It wasn't exactly an official holiday in my child-hood. We
took an hour in elementary school on Columbus Day to talk about the
significance of Columbus. I later learned that he believed until the day
he died that he had made all those voyages off the coast of Asia.
Everyone knew before he made his first voyage that the world was round,
but he thought it was smaller than everyone had figured out back to 500
BC, and he was wrong. If he hadn't bumped into America, his crew would
have starved to death before reaching Asia. He was forgotten and ignored
for 300 years. Then, the newly born USA, being new, was looking for
Instant Traditions, and someone noticed that 1792 was the 300th
anniversary of Columbus's voyage. Viola! Never mind that liberty and
democracy didn't rate in his world. He was a devoted servant of Their
Most Catholic Majesties, King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella.

That's my long rant for the day. Pain makes everyone grumpy. But it
doesn't seem to have changed you all that much.