[GCFL-discuss] Israel Without Hillary

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Jun 18 20:39:15 CDT 2008

I don't see anything in the story about hate between Ishmael and Isaac.
There is a lot of hate between Hagar and Sarah. Also, it is not evident
from this text that Ishmael was the patriarch of the Arabs, although that
is a long-standing tradition from somewhere. And it is odd that God is
taking so much trouble on Ishmael's behalf if Ishmael is to give birth to
an entire race that will be enemies of God's chosen people.

Then, I have doubts that the CURRENT situation in the middle east can be
traced to this scripture anyway. Arabs and Jews weren't feuding BEFORE
Muhammed, they were quite inter-mixed. Although Muhammed, for local
political reasons, persecuted, exiled or slaughtered three Jewish tribes
resident in Medina, Jewish populations enthusiastically cooperated with
the Islamic conquest of previously Christian territory, because they had
been so badly persecuted by the Greek and Roman and Visigothic Christian
establishments. Only about 500 years AFTER Muhammed did the Turkish
armies who usurped the power of the Caliphs, and certain new
fundamentalist creeds of Islam that arose first among the Berbers of
western Africa, begin to seriously threaten the Christian and Jewish
populations of the Dar al-Islam, interfere with Christian pilgrimage to
Jerusalem, etc. etc. etc.

Finally, since the existence of Israel as a state (at the present time,
in its present form) is considered in some orthodox Jewish traditions to
be less than Biblical, and the Arabic-speaking population of the region
includes descendants of Greek, Persian, Assyrian, Babylonian, Hittite and
several other non-Arab peoples, probably even descendants of the ten
tribes who were resettled by the Assyrians... it really doesn't add up
that this is all about Isaac and Ishmael.

The icononclast has spoken.

Siarlys

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:35:17 -0700 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
Thank you. That's what I was in reference to. So many don't seem to even
look at this Biblical history to the hate between Ishmael and Isaac

Lance

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:24 PM, Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies