[GCFL-discuss] Tennessee

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Fri Jun 27 20:41:40 CDT 2008

My mother is from Tennessee. The operative word is FROM. She has a cousin
who still lives there. I don't know as much about Alabama, except I once
knew a family from Geneva, and there is an old woman somewhere down there
who has one quarter of my family tree in an old Bible. About fifteen
years ago, my father spend 1 1/2 years at Oak Ridge, where the more
scholarly types tend to live a bit apart from the surrounding
countryside. When asked if she had seen anything of the "natives" my
mother smiled and said "Yes, I graduated from Harriman High School."
Harriman is a little west of Knoxville. My mother's cousin recalls a
teacher who explained small differences between her style of speaking and
that of her students, "I'm from the South, and when I moved North I kept
speaking the same way." She meant Rocky Point, which is about a thirty
minute drive south of Harriman on U.S. 27.

In Wisconsin, "y'all", and "I'm fi'in to" are examples of how black
people talk, because white folks are not from the South, but black folks
almost always are, except my dear friend Renee, whose family routes are
in Illinois and Missouri, which is why French names are common for
several generations.

I do butter a hot biscuit by slicing it open, putting a slab of butter
inside, and closing it up again. I have no use for butter unless it is
thoroughly melted.

When I was growing up, our family had lunch at noon and dinner in the
evening, BUT, all the German Roman Catholic families in the neighborhood
had dinner at noon and supper in the evening, just like the Baptists in
Tennessee. (My mother was Presbyterian, which is different).

I don't like watermelon, but I love preserved watermelon rind.