[GCFL-discuss] Screwtape

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Oct 28 21:03:40 CDT 2008

OK, enough politics until tomorrow. Anyone want to talk about Halloween?

I received an email invitation from the C.S. Lewis Foundation, which
began...

Dear Wormwood,

It has recently come to my attention that your patient is considering
going on retreat at the C.S. Lewis Foundation's Southwest Regional
Retreat. This simply will not do, particularly because the retreat takes
place in a few weeks on a weekend that's increasingly sacred to us:
October 31 to November 2.

Rather than allowing the subject of your machinations to enjoy the
company of humans dedicated to Our Enemy Above, you should have your
patient go to Halloween festivities more in keeping with our tastes and
including the proper sort of vices.

C.S. Lewis is worthy of continued study, but I decline to turn Halloween,
one of my favorite holidays, over the devils, so I replied:

Dear Screwtape,

That was a clever trick, impersonating the C.S. Lewis Foundation to trick
me into abandoning the observation of Halloween, which as YOU well know,
although you thought I was too dumb to realize it, is the most
EMBARASSING holiday of the year to you and to your "Father Below."

Well Screwtape, I laugh at you, I ridicule you, I will gladly help
children dress up as ridiculous caricatures of you and your nephew,
because YOU HAVE NO POWER OVER US. Your Father, that proud if impotent
spirit, cannot bear to be mocked. And mock you all we will, as we
supervise children who will never be yours, cheerfully trick or treating
among their equally cheerful neighbors again this year.

The foundation's Director of Communications took the response in good
humor.