[GCFL-discuss] Fw: Re: Recessional

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Feb 4 22:36:46 CST 2009

I sent this out to a bunch of friends, but I don't think I sent it to the
group. Very unusual for broadcast emails, I got four responses back.

> If we all do our part, we can bring this recession to an end.
>
> Here's my part for January 2009:
>
> On Tuesday mornings, my paratransit bus route begins with picking up
> three individuals at a group home, run by some larger entity, I think
> Catholic Charities, but I'm not sure. During the winter, we operate
under
> the rule that pick-up and drop-off locations are responsible to
maintain
> a path clear of ice and snow, otherwise we cannot take ambulatory or
> wheel chair passengers from the door to the bus.
>
> This location has had a bad record for snow removal this year. At
first,
> the staff person I generally deal with was a bit belligerent about it,
> but eventually we became more conversational, and he told me that
> staffing for night shift had been cut from two to one, in order to save
> money.
>
> I filed a report with our safety department, pointing out that a single
> staff person cannot go out to shovel snow, because they would be
leaving
> a house full of very cognitively disabled and disoriented people
without
> supervision. I noted that the management of the sponsoring organization
> should be reminded of THEIR responsibility to allocate sufficient
> personnel to get the snow shoveled.
>
> Management tends to water down what I suggest before communicating to
> other management, and maybe this is just coincidence, but...
>
> ...this morning, a couple of inches of packed icy snow had been removed
> (albeit an inch of new fallen snow was present, somewhat windblown),
and
> there were now TWO staffers on duty at the group home!
>
> Just a reminder that safety and full employment go hand in hand!

A Lutheran pastor responded:

        Who sez you can't fight city hall, Catholic Charities or
whatever!

A Republican friend of my parents responded:

        This is a wonderful episode to relay to us.

A high school friend who voted for Obama responded:

        SO nice to see that sometimes, communication DOES work!
        Keep the faith!

So something must be going right in the world.