[GCFL-discuss] Fw: [GCFL.net] Bluenecks: Northerners (Opposite ofRednecks)

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Nov 10 10:51:44 CST 2009

Hi Jeanene,

So, we finally have some conversation going again. Where is Lance?

I've heard the word "pocketbook" but my mother called her's a purse. By
the way, we just celebrated my mother's 80th birthday, the closest thing
to a family reunion our family is likely to have. A cousins I haven't
seen in 35 years turns out to have a mother-in-law about two miles from
where I live.

Gumband? I'm not sure what that is. But people from Europe can get
Americans quite confused asking for a rubber -- meaning what we call an
eraser.

Barbecue was originally a Carib Indian word for cooking a dead Arawak
after a battle.

Actually, in England they say Woostershur.

Oh, I get it, a moon pie is an oversized som'mor made by someone other
than a girl scout. I don't like marshmallows unless they are melted over
rice krispies. Graham crackers I can take or leave, but I'd rather just
eat the chocolate. Did I mention how many kids throw away boxes of
perfectly good graham crackers from their school lunches at the pumpkin
farm where I was doing tours last month?

Diet sodas cause alzheimer's. Pure sugar is better for your health.

Your experience with boiled okra matches mine. I'm too grossed out by
seeing it on my plate to even consider fried in corn meal.

I took my niece Emma to a children's zoo in the Bronx. When we got to the
live chickens running around in pens, I said "Oh look, that's where fried
chicken comes from." She said something like "Eeuuuuuu." My friend Renee
remembers her late grandmother saying "It's all in the wrist." (That's
when you grab a live chicking and break its neck before plucing out all
the feathers and removing the guts). Seriously John, do you live on a
farm where you do stuff like that, or do you live in a nice city house
with a lawn around it and buy your chicken at Winn-Dixie?

Yeah, I have one of those little cans of oil that drips it out a narrow
spout too. My mother kept hers in a sewing machine, but I don't have one
of those. I keep it on a shelf.

Fort Hood: Seriously, I think this kind of incident is showing up the
sheer idiocy of fighting a war by rotating people in and out of the
battle zone, coming back to a civilian culture that barely knows there is
a war on, then going back to the battle zone again. If we're going to go
to war, everyone able-bodied goes, for the duration, get it over with,
then come home, and stay home. Meantime, all the civilians put "normal"
life on hold, work extra hours, buy war bonds, pay whatever taxes it
takes to supply the troops with whatever they need, and recycle
everything for the war effort. If the war is truly endless, everyone
able-bodied goes, spends two years or three or whatever it takes, and
once you come home, you're out of it, unless you go career military.
Maybe one year in training, two years at the front, two years of support
work, then you're out.