[GCFL-discuss] Axioms

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu Mar 4 09:14:19 CST 2010

While the axiom seems to be flawed, there actually is some truth to it.
Firstly, between federal, state and local, the marginal rates could
total above 100%.  Secondly, if the change in your bracket takes you to
a category where deductions and exemptions get prorated, that shift
could go over 100%.  Thirdly, before computer tax programs became so
ubiquitous, the fed sent out tax tables with $50 increments.  lets say
that at $20000, the marginal tax rate is 10%. if a person's income jumps
from 19999 to 20001, a $2 increase, his tax will go up $5, 10% of $50.
Finally, if a person receives certain benefits, such as food stamps,
medicaid, college scholarships, rent assistance (section 8), etc., a
small increase in on-the-books income could cost him some or all of
these benefits.  the tax may not literally be over 100%, but it sure
will feel like it.

This last is what causes people on the dole to stay there.  An unskilled
job cannot possibly bring in as much income as would be lost from food
stamps, medicaid, etc.

Some years ago, i sued my insurance company and an arbitration hearing
was being held.  as i waited for my turn, i was surrounded by a bunch of
lawyers who knew each other professionally.  some had 6 or 7 digit
salaries while one went into legal aid.  his salary was so much less
than the others, but when they factored in scholarships and such, they
weren't that far apart.

greenBubble

Subject: Re: [GCFL-discuss] Axioms

That's so much BS that they do that Insufficient Funds charge, it's so
dirty... oh well, we call that capitalism.

Thanks to my college experience I know how to live on very little ...
sadly that means being stuck in the apartment doing nothing but computer
games and looking for work. Sucks, but I'm not spending money.

~Lance

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies