[GCFL-discuss] lance

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Fri Nov 13 20:27:30 CST 2009

Was there a company employee handbook? Was there a set of rule and
procedures for the IT department? Can you make out a case for what your
were doing, by pointing to specific rules which said that is EXACTLY what
you should have been doing?

Chances are you can. Most companies write their rule books to be
consistent and impartial and even-handed and reasonable. They don't
always follow those rules. The VIPs often assume they are exempt.
Sometimes they openly say those rules are just there so they can cite
them in the event of some kind of inspection or lawsuit. I've even
noticed rules, when I was driving a bus, that the company didn't WANT to
follow or enforce, because it got them screaming complaints over the
phone. Managers would rather employees violate the rules and keep the
clients happy, BUT if anything went wrong as a result, there is a rule on
paper, and the employee can be blamed for "violating company policy."

These rules can also be used by employees who get fired because some VIP
wants special treatment. If there is any doubt about your right to
unemployment compensation, be prepared to explain how you were simply
following company policy, and some manager didn't want to go by the rules
you had been ORDERED to follow.

I would suggest filing a lawsuit for wrongful termination, but

a) they are long and complicated, so unless an attorney sees a really
good chance of winning and takes it on contingency, you probably can't
afford it,
b) every state has different laws on what IS wrongful termination,
c) companies fight those tooth and nail, and have lots of lawyers on
retainer to split hairs till the cows come home.

Still, you should be able to defend your unemployment. I wasn't asked to
be union shop steward (before my own termination) for nothing.

Siarlys

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:25:30 -0800 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
Oh I was! I was doing IT Help Desk for Umpqua Bank. But last month they
let me go because I told a department (multiple times) they needed to go
to the tech assigned the Work Order and not come to us as we'd already
passed it. The bosses ignored that fact and only focused on my final
reply which said spamming the Help Desk doesn't help their cause and
e-mailing us 3 times in 5 minutes about the very same issue after we've
already assigned it and already pointed them in the right direction isn't
appropriate.
Now why on earth is holding VPs accountable and expect them to follow the
rules so wrong? I don't know! But it pissed them off and they got rid of
me!
~Lance

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies