[GCFL-discuss] The Poll Taker

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sun Jul 11 15:52:29 CDT 2010

Not only that, but Congress did NOT go out of their way to make
themselves immune to this new bill.

For the obvious reason that people would be outraged, and the whole
process was already under a microscope, the law contains specific
language that what congress and congressional staff get in the way of
health care MUST be obtained within the terms of the law that apply to
everyone else.

Unfortunately, once again, all anyone has to do is repeat a lie often
enough, and millions of people will believe its true.

Separate issue: People have gotten the idea (and I admit, I often feel
this way at first glance on any subject I feel strongly about), that if I
want something, it must be a constitutional right, or, if I want
something off my back, it must be prohibited by something in the
constitution. As Justice Scalia pointed out, the constitution does not
mean what we think it ought to mean, it means what it says.

I was worried about the shape of the new bill, because I haven't had
insurance since last July, I don't have the money to pay for anything
like what my last employer was providing, and a several thousand dollar
fine with my tax return was not appealing. (That is an understatement).

Kaiser Family Foundation has an excellent web page on the subject (start
at www.kff.org ) and I found that sliding scale of the share of cost I'd
have to pay is perfectly reasonable -- in short, I'll be covered after
2014, even if things don't improve, I'll have to pay something, but
nothing more than I can afford.

Siarlys

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 17:42:50 -0700 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
Sadly I don't know... But when Congress went out of their way to add a
piece to their health care that makes them immune to this new bill people
were outraged... They kept quoting that there's some amendment that said
Congress couldn't make a law for the masses but not themselves.
Just checked all 27 Amendments and I'm not seeing anything close to
saying that... :(

Lance

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies